HOW SHOULD AMERICANS RESPOND
WHEN U.S. LEADERS ARE WAR CRIMINALS?
The news has described an astonishing number of war crimes being committed by the U.S. throughout the world:
1) The use of unmanned drones on civilian populations in Pakistan, Yemen, Afghanistan (Iraq, Libya and Somalia too. Who is next?).
2) The ongoing murder of civilians in Iraq (despite an official end to “combat” there).
3) Support for U.S.-installed dictators in Syria, Yemen and Bahrain, as well as torture and renditions in Saudi Arabia (and other secret sites).
4) Indiscriminate bombing in Libya designed to kill one of the few dictators we don’t embrace in the Middle East.
5) Declaring Iran Air Lines to be a “terrorist group” and threatening to prosecute anyone who flies on that airline for “Patriot Act” violations.
6) Support for Israel’s illegal blockade and opposition to a peace flotilla to the concentration camp known as Gaza.
7) U.S. complicity with the Mexican government in its murder of over 25,000 supposed drug dealers and their supporters — all to prevent North Americans from feeding their addictions.
8) Destabilization programs throughout South and Central America, designed to overthrow governments that won’t comply with U.S. demands to give (the U.S.) their natural resources and financial support.
9) The use of the CIA, FBI, (military commandos) and their affiliates in international clandestine operations, including assassinations and disappearances.
The list goes on and on, and only gets worse as each week passes. The tally of (of U.S.) savagery throughout the world numbers in the hundreds of thousands each year, and yet the only casualties we read about refer to “American lives lost…” Most Americans read the news and shake their heads in disbelief that we could have sunk so low as a nation. Then we resume going about our business, leaving the wars to those who hold the monopoly of power and wealth in (the U.S.)
Silence in the face these crimes is unacceptable. (Non-violent) resistance is the only honorable response. But how and what will stop this juggernaut of senseless wars and mayhem remains to be seen. In the meantime, (let us not be) like the good Germans of the 30’s and 40’s, who stood by while their government (killed millions) and destroyed everything of value that it touched.
Throughout history… all such empires fade and fall… the only question is how many will have died while they wreaked their havoc on the people and resources of the planet.
The above is an edited version of an article by Luke Hiken, an attorney who has engaged in the practice of criminal, military, immigration, and appellate law. See www.progressiveavenues.org
Stand Up! Speak Out! Resist!
1. Mourn all victims of violence. 2. Reject war as a solution. 3. Defend civil liberties. 4. Oppose all discrimination, anti-Islamic, anti-Semitic, etc. 5. Seek peace through justice in Hawai`i and around the world.
Contact: Malu `Aina Center for Non-violent Education & Action
P.O. Box AB Kurtistown, Hawai`i 96760.
Phone (808) 966-7622. Email firstname.lastname@example.org http://www.malu-aina.org
Hilo Peace Vigil leaflet (July 8, 2011, – 512th week) – Friday 3:30-5PM downtown Post Office