Stop Training for War!
Stryker tanks, bombers, fighter-jets, drones, artillery, rockets, troops and more troops, what is next? Now the Army plans to fly helicopters out of Pohakuloa Training Area to six landing zones in State conservation land on the upper slopes (above 11,000 feet) of Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa to train for war in Afghanistan. The flights are planned to begin Oct. 11, 2011 for one month. After that, more may be planned. The Hawaii State Board of Land & Natural Resources recently approved the military taking of public lands for this purpose despite widespread citizen testimony in opposition. No hearings were held on Hawaii Island and no Hawaii Island public officials spoke out in opposition. Below is a condensed version of Jim Albertini’s testimony for Malu ‘Aina.
“Our organization does not want the U.S. training anywhere to do to others what the U.S. has already done to Hawaii: overthrow and occupy its government and nation, desecrate its sacred sites, and contaminate its air, land, water, people, plants, and animals with a wide range of military toxins. We want the U.S. to stop bombing Hawaii and training to bomb and kill others. It’s time for the military to clean up its opala (rubbish) and quit Hawaii.
1. Depleted Uranium (DU) radiation contamination exists on State leased land at the Pohakuloa Training Area. The lease doesn’t allow for that. Cancel that lease but first make the military fund comprehensive independent testing and monitoring (with citizen oversight) to determine the full extent of the contamination. And make them clean up their mess, not a 3rd rate job like Kaho’olawe, but first rate to habitable standards.
2. The Hawaii County Council on July 2, 2008 passed resolution 639-08 by a vote of 8-1. That resolution called for 8 action points but #1 was stopping “all live firing exercises and other activities at the Pohakuloa Training Area (PTA) that creates dust until there is an assessment and clean up of the depleted uranium already present.” The military has ignored the Council’s call for action. All 8 points!.
3. Today, the military is firing upwards of 14 million live-rounds annually at PTA, which is a radioactive contaminated base They are creating a multi-billion dollar mess on State leased lands . Do the right thing. Do not allow 1 further square inch of Hawaiian lands for military purposes.
The U.S. and Hawaii’s economies have become addicted to war. The truth is we have become military/industrial drunks…. One more for the road. One more for jobs. One more for training in the war for empire disguised as a war against terrorism… One more military drink on the road to global military and economic destruction is not the answer. The first step in the 12 step program of recovery for an alcoholic is to admit to addiction and then seek help from Ke Akua and others to restore what is pono. The same applies to military/industrial drunks. It’s time to Honor and Protect Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa. It’s time to train for peace not war if we are going to survive as a species.”
Train For Peace: Honor Mauna Kea & Mauna Loa!
1. Mourn all victims of violence. 2. Reject war as a solution. 3. Defend civil liberties. 4. Oppose all discrimination, anti-Islamic, anti-Semitic, etc.
5. Seek peace through justice in Hawai`i and around the world.
Contact: Malu `Aina Center for Non-violent Education & Action
P.O. Box AB Kurtistown, Hawai`i 96760.
Phone (808) 966-7622. Email firstname.lastname@example.org http://www.malu-aina.org
Hilo Peace Vigil leaflet (Sept. 30, 2011 – 523rd week) – Friday 3:30-5PM downtown Post Office