|Aloha e Kakou,
A new state preemption bill to override Count GMO bans needs your testimony in opposition this week. If you haven’t been following this story, Big Island Bill 113 and Kaua’i Bill 2491 would be made null and void if these State laws are passed.
Via Brad Parsons:
Bill SB 2777 scheduled for hearing next Thurs. 27th that would preempt County authority to regulate Agriculture use of land.
Here is the key section in question in the bill (underscore is an addition, bracketed is a deletion, changes to the law):
SECTION 2. Section 205-5, Hawaii Revised Statutes, is amended by amending subsection (b) to read as follows:
(b) Within agricultural districts, uses [compatible to the activities] described in section 205‑2 [as determined by the commission] shall be permitted[;] without further limitations or restrictions;
After reviewing SB2777, Atty. Paul Achitoff had the following to say about it:
“This bill would appear to strip counties of the authority to restrict use of agricultural land, and therefore is another preemption bill. It should be opposed.”
Here is an article fully explaining it, “Reading SB2777 – Another attempt to preempt and weaken local authority”
Calling on everyone to send in testimony OPPOSED TO SB2777 by following these simple steps:
2) If you haven’t already registered, create an account by clicking on REGISTER in the top right corner of the homepage
3) Follow the instruction and sign in to your account
4) Enter SB2777 into the search engine – you will be redirected to the comments page
5) Click SUBMIT TESTIMONY and follow instructions for accepting the small box at the bottom: Terms and Conditions and finally, press submit.
6) You will get a page that says “successfully submitted..
**While a few sentences or paragraph of comments opposed are welcome, you can just click on OPPOSE and SUBMIT and follow the instructions for final submission.**