Resist the Hype!

Black Friday Sales &

The Winter of Discontent   

     The store ads all say “SALE, SALE, SALE!  The real meaning is BUY! BUY! BUY!  The ads are a commercialism lure to create “Wants” not “Needs.”  All the holiday hype is to get us to spend beyond our means with credit cards that charge high interest to make money for the Wall St. banks.

This holiday season, don’t buy the hype.  Buy nothing or buy local.  Support an economy that benefits the 99%, not the 1% of global corporate interests that suck labor and resources out of our local economies.

All over the world there is a “Winter of Discontent” — a dissatisfaction with our human condition.  The dissatisfaction covers many areas:  the widening gap between the super rich (1%) and the rest of humanity –the 99%; the ravenous appetite of corporate greed that appears to know no bounds; the influence and corruption of corporate money in government.  Elections and politicians are bought by the highest bidder.  We are in an unprecedented time of “Government For Sale.”

Add to this mess, endless wars for empire disguised as “war on terror” to keep us all in a state of fear and obedience to those in power.  The oil companies and the arms merchants have never seen more profitable times, and like things just as they are.  But what about those who have lost their homes, jobs, and savings?  What about cuts in education, health care, and social service for the poor and elderly? Overshadowing all of the above is the global climate crisis that threatens the very survival of the planet.

If the continuing global spread of radiation from the Fukushima nuclear plant meltdowns isn’t bad enough, the pre-war propaganda is building for an attack on Iran’s nuclear power plant by the U.S. and/or Israel with dire consequences for the entire world.

This Thanksgiving holiday weekend, and the holy season that follows, is a good time to take stock of what is really important in life.  Is life all about consumerism, competition, and profit or something deeper?  Philosophers and religious leaders tell us we are all in this together.  We are called to be compassionate to one another; to cooperate for the common good; to care for the earth and all its creatures; to make peace and work for justice.

This is the call of the “Arab Spring” that has spread to the “Occupy Wall St.” movement and that is building in our present “Winter of Discontent.”  See the excellent article “Time for Obama to Act to End Police-State Violence Against the Occupiers” at Let us join hands to build a more just, peaceful, and liveable world for all. Future generations are depending on us. What we do, or don’t do now, matters!  Stand up and be counted!  Blessings of aloha to you and your ohana!

Thou Shall Not Covet …

Peace on Earth, Goodwill to All!

1. Mourn all victims of violence. 2. Reject war as a solution. 3. Defend civil liberties. 4. Oppose all discrimination, anti-Islamic, anti-Semitic, etc.
5. Seek peace through justice in Hawai`i and around the world.
Contact: Malu `Aina Center for Non-violent Education & Action P.O. Box AB Kurtistown, Hawai`i 96760.
Phone (808) 966-7622.  Email
Hilo Peace Vigil leaflet (Nov. 25, 2011 – 531st week) – Friday 3:30-5PM downtown Post Office