Testimony in opposition to military lands in Hawaii needed now
ACTION ALERT! STOP HB 2046 – TRANSFER CONTROL OF MĀKUA AND PŌHAKULOA LEASES TO THE MILITARY. Please Share!
This horrible bill would transfer control of Hawaiian Trust Lands (aka “Ceded” Land) currently leased to the US Army to the military. Thanks to Hawaiʻi Thousand Friends for notifying us about this.
TESTIFY at the hearing this FRIDAY
Committee on Water and Land hearing
FRIDAY, 2/12, 9:30 am, Conf. Rm 325.
Committee Chair Yamane is one of the bill’s sponsors so he needs to feel the pressure on this.
And/Or Testify online:
HB 2046 RELATING TO MILITARY LAND
(YAMANE, AQUINO, CULLEN, ITO, OSHIRO, TSUJI)
· Authorizes the Adjutant General to be in charge of all state property leased to the US Army
· Transfers such lands to the Department of Defense by June 30, 2017
· Exempts transfer of public lands to the US Army from all of HRS 171 Conservation and Resources public land provisions, DLNR oversight and any land lease or land transfer approval by the Board of Land and Natural Resources
· Requires that all records, equipment, files, supplies, contracts, books, papers, documents from all State agencies transferring ceded/public land be turned over to the US Army
· NO public involvement in transfer of public land
Cancel the leases and make the military clean up their mess. This bill looks like a fast track to extend military leases and cut the public out of the process.